Definition of goy
: a non-Jewish person : gentile sense 1 "You were my uncle," Duddy shouted, "and I thought it was the right thing to tell you the goy was stealing from you."— Mordecai Richler In the Yiddish-speaking world of the Lower East Side, with its all-Jewish streets and all-Jewish schools, it was possible to regard the goyim as unmarriageable aliens.— Jonathan Raban Our rabbi … used to tell us not to let the goyim, those people outside the invisible wall, know if we had any differences among ourselves.— Nat Hentoff … what we Jews call Torah and goys call the Old Testament …— Robert Little
Keep scrolling for more
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game