gow·pen | \ ˈgəu̇pən\
Definition of gowpen
1 chiefly Scottish
a : the hollow of two hands held together as if forming a bowl
b or less commonly gowpenful \ -ˌfü(l) \ plural gowpenfuls : a double handful gathered a gowpenful of flinty arrowheads— John Service
2 Scots law : the perquisite of meal from tenants by thirlage that is allowed to a miller's servant
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game