good for (someone or something)idiom
Definition of good for (someone or something)
1 —used to express approval of someone "I passed the exam!" "Good for you!""He got the job." "Good for him!"
2 : resulting in something good or desirable for (someone or something) Regular exercise is good for you. Hot soup is good for a cold. Being with friends is especially good for him right now.
3 —used to say how long something will continue or be valid This offer is good for the remainder of the month.Our old car still runs and should be good for a few more years.
4 somewhat informal : able to provide or produce (something) I'm good for a hundred dollars if you need a loan.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game