Definition of give someone a leg up
1 : to hold one's hands together so that someone can step into them while climbing up onto something I don't think I can get on this horse without help. Can someone give me a leg up?
2 : to give someone an advantage over others These skills will give you a leg up in the job market.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game