give someone a leg upidiom
Definition of give someone a leg up
1 : to hold one's hands together so that someone can step into them while climbing up onto something I don't think I can get on this horse without help. Can someone give me a leg up?
2 : to give someone an advantage over others These skills will give you a leg up in the job market.
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?