give (someone) the birdidiom
Definition of give (someone) the bird
1 or flip (someone) the bird, US : to make an offensive gesture at someone by pointing the middle finger upward while keeping the other fingers folded down He flipped them the bird.
2 British : to loudly shout at, laugh at, or boo someone (such as a performer) in order to show disapproval The audience gave him the bird.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?