get hold ofidiom
variants: or chiefly US get a hold of
Definition of get hold of
1 : to get possession of (something) : to succeed in getting (something) Somehow she managed to get hold of the band's new album before it came out. Where did you get hold of that idea?
2 : to find and talk to (someone) : to contact (someone) I need to talk to my lawyer, but I haven't been able to get hold of him. I've been trying to get a hold of my lawyer for days.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game