get under someone's skinidiom
Definition of get under someone's skin
1 : to irritate or upset someone His constant boasting was beginning to get under my skin.
2 : to affect someone positively even though he or she does not want or expect to be affected that way : grow to like something I used to hate the city, but after a while it kind of got under my skin. The actress accepted the role because the character really got under her skin.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game