Definition of get onto
1 : to start to do or deal with (something) "We need someone to send out the invitations." "I'll get onto it right away."
2 : to start to talk about something How did we get onto this topic?
3 British : to speak to or write to (someone) about a particular problem, job, etc. I'll get onto the doctor/plumber straightaway and see if he'll come round.
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?