get hold ofidiom
variants: or chiefly US get a hold of
Definition of get hold of
1 : to get possession of (something) : to succeed in getting (something) Somehow she managed to get hold of the band's new album before it came out. Where did you get hold of that idea?
2 : to find and talk to (someone) : to contact (someone) I need to talk to my lawyer, but I haven't been able to get hold of him. I've been trying to get a hold of my lawyer for days.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?