Definition of genitive
1 : of, relating to, or constituting a grammatical case marking typically a relationship of possessor or source — compare possessive
2 : expressing a relationship that in some inflected languages is often marked by a genitive case —used especially of English prepositional phrases introduced by of
Keep scrolling for more
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game