gain onphrasal verb
gained on; gaining on; gains on
Definition of gain on
: to come nearer to (someone or something that is ahead in a race or competition) She was still leading at the halfway point, but the other runners were gaining on her.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game