variants: or fuguing piece or fuging tune or less commonly fuge tune
Definition of fuguing tune
: a hymn written in a style popular in England and the United States in the 18th and 19th centuries employing simple contrapuntal imitation in its middle section
— called also fuge
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game