Definition of frowst
(Entry 1 of 2)
: stale stuffy atmosphere : offensive or musty odor the frowst that rose … from my bedding— Monica Baldwin the frowst of a third-class carriage full of sleepy travelers— John Buchan
variants: or froust \ " \
Definition of frowst (Entry 2 of 2)
: to loll or lounge especially indoors why should one frowst within four walls on such a night— J. C. Snaith
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game