Definition of free-ranging
1 : moving or able to move or range freely over a wide area without restriction free-ranging animals I began roaming the streets to observe how free-ranging cats—feral cats and strays, as well as house cats allowed to wander freely—make a living in a city.— James E. Childs
2 : not limited or narrow in scope or extent : wide-ranging a free-ranging discussion Mr. Enright is comparatively free-ranging and various in writing about what engages him; his subjects range from professors of literature to computers to "correctness" to aging and, above all, to words.— William H. Pritchard
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
- The Words of the Week - 6/11/2021
Ask the Editors
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game