Definition of free church
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : a church whose sittings are for all and without charge
2 or Free Church : a church not established or under state control:
a Free Church, in Scotland : the church organized by those who left the Church of Scotland in 1843 to be free from state control in spiritual matters
— called also Free Kirk
b Free Church, in England : a nonconformist church
Definition of free-church (Entry 2 of 2)
: of or relating to a church that is not an established church the American free-church system
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?