Definition of forty-six
(Entry 1 of 3)
forty-sixpronoun, plural in construction
Definition of forty-six (Entry 2 of 3)
: 46 countable persons or things not specified but under consideration and being enumerated forty-six are here forty-six were found
Definition of forty-six (Entry 3 of 3)
1 : six and 40 : 23 times two
2a : 46 units or objects a total of forty-six
b : a group or set of 46
3 : the numerable quantity symbolized by the arabic numerals 46
4 : the 46th in a set or series especially : an article of clothing of the 46th size wears a forty-six
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?