Definition of forty-nine
(Entry 1 of 3)
forty-ninepronoun, plural in construction
\ " \
Definition of forty-nine (Entry 2 of 3)
: 49 countable persons or things not specified but under consideration and being enumerated forty-nine are here forty-nine were found
\ " \
Definition of forty-nine (Entry 3 of 3)
1 : nine and 40 : seven sevens : the square of seven
2a : 49 units or objects a total of forty-nine
b : a group or set of 49
3 : the numerable quantity symbolized by the arabic numerals 49
4 : the 49th in a set or series especially : an article of clothing of the 49th size wears a forty-nine
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game