Definition of formation rule
: a principle in logic for establishing permissible combinations of signs (as for determining how to construct statements or formulas in a formalized language or calculus) —contrasted with transformation rule
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game