variants: or forktail \ ˈ⸗ˌ⸗ \
Definition of fork-tailed
: having the tail or posterior end of the body deeply cleft a fork-tailed schistosome cercaria usually : having the outer feathers or rays of the tail much longer than the central ones —used of birds and fishes
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?