Definition of for show
1 : intended to be seen but not used or bought We're not supposed to eat the fruit on the table. It's just for show.
2 disapproving : done in order to gain the approval or favor of others He says he enjoys classical music, but it's only for show.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?