fool aboutphrasal verb
fooled about; fooling about; fools about
Definition of fool about
1 : to do things that are not useful or serious : to waste time : to do things slowly We fooled about outdoors for a while, but then went inside to get some work done.
2 : to have sex with someone who is not one's husband, wife, or regular partner His wife discovered that he was fooling about (on her).
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game