fool around withidiom
Definition of fool around with
1 : to use or do (something) in a way that is not very serious I'm not really a painter; I just like to fool around with paints.
2 : to handle or play with (something) in a careless or foolish way Don't fool around with that gun.
3 : to have sex with (someone who is not one's husband, wife, or regular partner) His wife discovered that he was fooling around with his secretary.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game