Definition of floating bridge
1 : a temporary bridge supported by low flat-bottomed boats or pontoons
2 : a double bridge that has the upper level projecting beyond the lower and capable of being moved forward by pulleys and was used formerly for carrying troops over narrow moats in attacking the outworks of a fort
3 : a ferryboat drawn and guided by chains that are anchored on the sides of a stream and that mesh with wheels on the boat
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game