Definition of floating battery
1 : a storage battery connected across an electric line or feeder to equalize the load and maintain the voltage constant
2 : a battery erected on a raft or the hull of a ship or a ship carrying heavy guns and designed as a gun platform rather than for navigation formerly used in coast defense and in attacking fortifications
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?