Definition of flickering
: moving or shining irregularly or unsteadily a flickering light Everything was lit by dingy fluorescent bulbs, half of which were broken or flickering.— Brian Selznick also : uncertain and feeble … he seems to have had only a flickering awareness of what he was doing … — Robert Penn Warren And some of the exclamation marks and the nostalgia for degradation revive flickering thoughts of Celine. — Herbert Gold The doctors said they couldn't stop the support measures needed to sustain so flickering a life without a court order. — Arthur Allen
Keep scrolling for more
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game