Examples of flatline in a Sentence
the patient was fading fast, and doctors expected him to flatline before the night was over
Recent Examples of flatline from the Web
The inning would flatline in the next moments when Cuthbert bobbled a grounder at third base and threw wildly to first, allowing another run to score and everybody to be safe.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'flatline.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
First Known Use of flatline
Synonymscheck out, conk (out), croak [slang], decease, demise, depart, drop, end, exit, expire, fall, die, go, kick in [slang], kick off [slang], pass (on), pass away, part, peg out [chiefly British], perish, pop off, step out, succumb
Related Wordspredecease; consume, disappear, dry up, fade, fail
Near Antonymscome to, revive; linger; be, exist, subsist; flourish, prosper, thrive
medical Definition of flatline
- I flatlined on the operating table, but Dr. Bunsom managed to revive me.
- —Alison Wright, Yoga Journal, May/June 2005
- He used to be ill quite a bit as a younger child, and his heart flatlined four times before he was 6.
- —Ginnie Graham, Tulsa World, 19 Dec. 2007
- But just because death is expected doesn't mean it's any less depressing when the patient finally flatlines.
- —Phil Taylor, Sports Illustrated, 26 Jan. 2009
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up flatline? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).