Definition of fired
1 : using a specified fuel —usually used in combination an oil-fired power planta wood-fired pizza oven
2 : having been processed by heating in a kiln fired and handpainted stoneware The body is more like cement than clay, but useful in achieving the surfaces I seek, and the fired clay is remarkably lightweight and strong. — Ceramics Monthly
3 : dismissed from a job You're fired! They said Metro has failed to provide the fired employees and the union with a detailed explanation of the allegations.— Fredrick Kunkle
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?