Definition of filtered
1 : having unwanted elements (such as sediments) removed by means of a filter : subjected to filtration filtered water
2 : made less intense, full, or pure by being partially blocked plants that do well in filtered sunlight Adjustable slats (vanes) fit between sheets of polyester fabric, allowing a filtered view or complete privacy.— Daniel Gregory Frantic July tourist cars sent up a filtered sound and smell through the tall plane trees below the windows.— M. F. K. Fisher
3 : having a filter filtered cigarettes A few days or perhaps weeks later, the person moves into one of the big, specially filtered rooms and starts the chemotherapy, which is tenderly called ablation.— Sallie Tisdale
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game