fill in the blanksidiom
Definition of fill in the blanks
1 : to put information into blank spaces : to provide missing information Please fill in the blanks on the questionnaire. —sometimes used figuratively At the end of the movie, the narrator goes back and fills in (all) the blanks.
2 : to provide one's own conclusion He would not tell me the whole story of the argument, and I was left to fill in the blanks for myself.
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?