file/initiate a lawsuitidiom
Definition of file/initiate a lawsuit
: to start a process by which a court of law makes a decision to end a disagreement between people or organizations When the newspaper refused to admit that the story was false, the actor filed/initiated a lawsuit against the publisher.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game