fight forphrasal verb
fought for; fighting for; fights for
Definition of fight for
1 : to fight in support of (something) young soldiers fighting for their country This is a cause that's worth fighting for.
2 : to fight or struggle to get, keep, or achieve (something) The team is fighting for a spot in the play-offs. The two armies fought all night for control of the fort. They had to fight for survival.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game