fight backphrasal verb
fought back; fighting back; fights back
Definition of fight back
1 : to attack or try to defeat someone who is attacking or trying to defeat oneself We can't just let them make these accusations against us. We need to fight back!
2 : to make a new effort against an opponent They fell behind early in the game, but they were able to fight back and tie the score in the second half.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game