fought back; fighting back; fights back
Definition of fight back
1 : to attack or try to defeat someone who is attacking or trying to defeat oneself We can't just let them make these accusations against us. We need to fight back!
2 : to make a new effort against an opponent They fell behind early in the game, but they were able to fight back and tie the score in the second half.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game