Definition of fiddlehead
: one of the young coiled fronds of some ferns (such as the ostrich fern) that are often cooked and eaten as a vegetable Before the tightly coiled frond of the young fern uncurls, it is called a fiddlehead because of its resemblance to the scrolled head of a violin.— Maria Kourebanas
— called also fiddlehead fern
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game