fend offphrasal verb
fended off; fending off; fends off
Definition of fend off
: to defend oneself against (someone or something) They succeeded in fending off the attack/attackers. They have had to fend off allegations of voter fraud.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game