Definition of feast-or-famine
: marked by extremes (as of success and failure or prosperity and depression) ski-area operators agree that theirs is uniquely a feast-or-famine business— William Gilman it follows … that mineral exploitation is a feast-or-famine industry— H. A. Meyerhoff
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game