Definition of farse
(Entry 1 of 3)
obsolete variant of farce
Definition of farse (Entry 2 of 3)
: an interpolation (as an explanatory phrase) inserted in a liturgical formula usually : an addition or paraphrase, often in the vulgar language, formerly permitted in the sung portions of the Mass
Definition of farse (Entry 3 of 3)
: to amplify (a liturgical formula) by interpolation : insert a farse in also : to interpolate (a farse)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game