Definition of extractive distillation
: a combined continuous fractional distillation and extraction in which a relatively high-boiling solvent (such as furfural) flowing down the distillation column selectively scrubs one or more of the components from a mixture of compounds of similar vapor pressures (such as butanes and butylenes)
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?