ex·i·larch | \ ˈegzəˌlärk, ˈeksəˌ-, -ˌzīˌ-, -ˌsīˌ-\
Definition of exilarch
: one of a line of Jewish civil and judicial rulers of the exiles in Babylon from about the third to the tenth centuries a.d. to whom Jews in all countries paid tribute
Keep scrolling for more
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game