Definition of even now/then
1 —used to stress that something is or was happening at a particular time They are even now preparing for his arrival.Enemy troops were even then approaching the city.
2 —used to stress that something (such as a person's attitude or behavior) was or is very surprising and unexpected We showed her the proof, but even then, she wouldn't admit she was wrong.Despite all that went wrong, he insists even now that he would do it again.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game