err on the side ofidiom
Definition of err on the side of
: to use or show more of (something) than may be needed so that one can be sure that he or she is using or showing enough of it It's better to err on the side of generosity than to appear too stingy. We chose to err on the side of caution when planning our investments.
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game