err on the side ofidiom
Definition of err on the side of
: to use or show more of (something) than may be needed so that one can be sure that he or she is using or showing enough of it It's better to err on the side of generosity than to appear too stingy. We chose to err on the side of caution when planning our investments.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game