Definition of enneagram
1 : a regular geometric figure with nine points : the figure inscribed within a regular nine-sided polygon
2 or Enneagram plural Enneagrams : a system of classifying personality types that is based on a nine-pointed starlike figure inscribed within a circle in which each of the nine points represents a personality type and its psychological motivations (such as the need to be right or helpful) influencing a person's emotions, attitudes, and behavior Using the enneagram, participants strive to become more aware of their own psychological fixations, spiritual problems, patterns of behavior and ways of relating to other people.— Don Lattin et al., San Francisco Chronicle, 8 Aug. 1994 Today the Enneagram is widely used in retreat centers and churches, which offer both introductory courses and advanced instruction in how to apply it to such areas as negotiation, parenting and conflict.— Judy Tarjanyi, Houston Chronicle, 12 Nov. 1994
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game