en·er·gu·men | \ ˌenə(r)ˈgyümə̇n\
Definition of energumen
1 : a person possessed by or as if by an evil spirit : demoniac specifically : one belonging to a Christian church in the first centuries and placed in a special class ministered to by exorcists and allowed limited participation in common worship
2 : a fanatical devotee, adherent, or enthusiast military energumens
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game