: one that employs or makes use of something or somebody
: a person or company that provides a job paying wages or a salary to one or more people
- … it is one of the most aggressive employers of the dreaded pop-up ads that effloresce across one's video screen like a sudden and unpleasant rash …
- —Christopher Orr
- Private household workers usually work in pleasant and comfortable homes or apartments. Most are dayworkers who live in their own homes and travel to work. Some live in the home of their employer, generally with their own room and bath.
- —Occupational Outlook Handbook
- One of Hiroshima's main contributions to the post-war economic miracle of Japan is the Mazda car plant, the single largest employer in Hiroshima.
- —Michael Dillon
- …choose a classic health-insurance plan—if your employer still makes one available.
- —Laura Johannes