Definition of emmer
: an ancient tetraploid wheat (Triticum dicoccum) that has spikelets with two hard red grains which remain in the glumes after threshing and that has been cultivated especially in southwest Asia, northeast Africa, and Europe also : the grain of emmer
Note: The grain of emmer is also called farro.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?