Definition of embark on/upon
1 : to begin (a journey) They embarked on their trip to America with high hopes.
2 : to begin (something that will take a long time or happen for a long time) She's embarking on a new career. The company has embarked upon a risky new project.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game