Definition of elm yellows
: a usually fatal disease of North American elms (such as the American elm) that is characterized by yellowish, often black-flecked discoloration and degeneration of the phloem and that results in death of the root system followed by wilting, yellowing, and loss of leaves
— called also phloem necrosis
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game