elm bark beetlenoun
Definition of elm bark beetle
: either of two beetles (family Scolytidae) that are vectors for the fungus causing Dutch elm disease:
a : one (Hylurgopinus rufipes) native to eastern North America
b : one (Scolytus multistriatus) introduced from Europe into eastern North America
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?