Definition of elephant's-foot
1a : a plant of the genus Elephantopus
b : a southern African vine (Dioscorea elephantipes) having a massive rootstock covered with a deeply fissured bark
— called also tortoise plant— see hottentot bread
2 : a ram with a foot for holding the work to the block in a flanging machine
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game