variants: or less commonly eclipsing double star or eclipsing binary
Definition of eclipsing variable
: a binary star in which the orbit plane lies near the line of sight so that one or both of the stars may eclipse the other as they revolve and produce rhythmic fluctuations in the total light of the system
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?