Definition of dysfunctional
: characterized by or exhibiting dysfunction: such as
a : not functioning properly : marked by impaired or abnormal functioning With 180,000 employees and a $43 billion budget, the department is a collage of 22 distinct government agencies drawn from different corners of the federal organization chart and glued together into a single, largely dysfunctional unit.— Paul C. Light This form of anemia develops because the bone marrow is not producing new cells rapidly enough to replace old cells that have become destroyed or otherwise dysfunctional.— Tom Ewing This led to a dysfunctional credit market that in important respects soon turned non-functional.— Warren E. Buffett
b : characterized by abnormal or unhealthy interpersonal behavior or interaction dysfunctional relationships As with any dysfunctional family, it may take an outsider to get a clear picture of the situation.— Chris Mooney
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?